Holiday Hazards:
Keeping your bunny safe during human celebrations!

Cold Weather:

Though rabbits can take the cold better than they can the heat, cold, wet and windy weather make it dangerous for an outside bunny, who can get frost bite on his/her ears and even die from exposure.

If you don't have a heated, weather-proof shelter for your furry friends, please bring them into a safe part of your house for the winter. It's the perfect time to reconnect with your rabbits and remember how much fun they can be as members of your family. Isn't that why you adopted them in the first place?

Read more cold weather tips for your cats and dogs

Decorations & Food:

Bag the boughs of holly and live mistletoe. Holly, mistletoe, poinsettias, lilies, laurel, and Christmas Rose are all on the POISON list for rabbits (and other animals).  Opt for artificial plants made from silk or plastic and keep them out of your pet's reach if they are "chewers".

  • Christmas tree water may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea should he/she imbibe.
  • Shiny icicle decorations can cause a deadly blockage if ingested, and broken glass ornaments can require immediate surgery if eaten.
  • Keep electrical cords hidden, especially if you have a pet that likes to chew.
  • Never leave lit candles unattended and keep them out of reach from any pets. Better yet, use electric lights and candles.

There are a lot of cookies and candy around this tiem of year. Please avoid giving your rabbits/pets even a bite of these sweets. Food too high in sugar can lead to digestive upset and gastrointestinal stasis, and it can contribute to excess weight. And food too rich in carbohydrates may contribute to a fatal case of enterotoxaemia, a toxic overgrowth of "bad" bacteria in the intestinal tract. In addition, keep in mind that chocolate is poisonous and should never be fed to your rabbit. Remember, rabbits have a sweet tooth and it's up to their human parents to give them healthy choices.

Rabbits have a delicate digestion system and are incapable of vomiting. Please keep your pets save and you'll all have a happier holiday.

If you suspect that your animal companion has eaten a potentially toxic substance, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center's Emergency Hotline at: (888) 426-4435 for round-the-clock telephone assistance. For more poison prevention tips, please visit ASPCA online.

Stress:

With extended family visiting and celebrating with friends, your pet can become stressed from all the noise and rush. Please keep your pets in a safe and quiet room if they are not use to the noise and activity. 

Find more Emergency Pet Preparedness information from the ASPCA.