Snip, Snip, Hooray! Outreach
Funding Bunny Spay & Neuter Surgeries for Washington-Area Independent Rescuers
We founded Special Bunny because we have a soft spot for house rabbits with special needs. Thanks to generous donors like you, we have been able to welcome hundreds of abandoned and abused bunnies into a safe, loving environment where they receive the exceptional medical attention they need.
But there are always more rabbits in need than we are able to take in. At the max, our shelter can hold 90. Because we’re supported by so many people, we have the financial ability to help more bunnies — but not the shelter or foster capacity. It’s time to get creative.
That’s why we’re introducing Snip Snip Hooray, a spay and neuter fund that expands the reach and impact of Special Bunny and its donors across the region.
Through our work, we’ve built relationships with a community of compassionate people who have self-selected into rabbit rescue. Maybe they took in a family of rabbits dumped by a neighbor, or responded to a “free rabbit” ad online. Without the resources of a pet rescue or shelter, they’re doing their part to save one rabbit at a time. But most of the rabbits arrive with medical issues — chief among them, the need to be spayed or neutered. Unfixed rabbits are tough to rehome and prone to more health and behavioral issues, making it hard for these good samaritans to adopt out their bunnies.
That’s where Special Bunny and our family of donors come in: we can instantly expand our organization’s reach by stepping in with a direct-services support fund. We work one-on-one with rescuers in need of spay and neuter services and make direct payments to veterinarians with proven rabbit experience.
Since board member Tamara Adlin provided the seed funding for Snip Snip Hooray in September, we’ve helped two individual rescuers spay and neuter nine rabbits. And we’re just getting started. By giving to Snip Snip Hooray, you’re not just helping Special Bunny — you’re making it possible for us to help rabbits, and the people who protect them, across western Washington.
If you want to help: When you make a donation to Special Bunny, you can earmark any portion that you’d like to direct to our Snip Snip Hooray Outreach fund. Or, consider making a separate gift to support this mission-driven program expansion!
To apply for Snip Snip Hooray! Help with Spays & Neuters:
Please email email@example.com with the following information:
- Your name
- Your 'rescuing bunnies history' (just a brief explanation of how you got started, how much rescue you do these days, and how many bunnies are currently or usually in your care).
- Your current needs (# spays needed, # neuters needed)
- Do you already have a vet who does low cost spays and neuters (low cost is around $100 per animal).
- If you do have a vet, are they willing to take payment over the phone?
- How much do they charge for a spay? Neuter?
- Does this include after-care/take-home pain meds?
- If you don't already have a low-cost vet, can you bring your rabbits to Seattle Animal Shelter for spays and neuters?
- Please send several photos showing the housing you provide for the rescued bunnies in your care.
We will contact you as soon as possible. Please be patient...we are an all-volunteer program and we all have full time jobs. Do not schedule any surgeries (expecting financial help) without pre-approval from us.