IMPORTANT BOARDING UPDATES:
Demand for boarding is at an all-time high.
- We are completely full June 15 – July 30, 2022
- We are closed for boarding for the entire month of September 2022
- If you don’t have your holiday boarding reservations, get them in ASAP, as we are almost full for the fall and winter holidays.
RHDV2 Vaccines required as of June 15, 2022
All bunnies scheduled for boarding must have proof of vaccination.
If you received the Filovac (one-dose) vaccine, you must have proof of vaccination or booster:
- The vaccine or booster must have been administered at least 14 days before drop-off date.
- The vaccine or booster must have been administered within 12 months previous to the pick-up date for your bunny.
If you received the Medgen (two-dose) vaccine, you must have proof of vaccination or booster:
- If this is the first year you are vaccinating: The second dose of the vaccine must have been administered at least 14 days before drop-off date.
- If you are boosting after last year’s vaccination, which only requires a single shot: the booster must have been administered at least 14 days before drop-off date.
New policy: All boarded bunnies must be spayed or neutered
We are making this change for a few reasons:
- We think all pet bunnies should be spayed or neutered for health and behavior reasons.
- Unneutered/unspayed rabbits are extremely messy when boarded and cause the other bunnies to be messy as well in reaction to their hormones.
- We will make an exception only if you have already booked your boarding as of April 26, 2022. If you do have a reservation for an unneutered/unspayed bunny, please check with Angie.
Additional boarding options in the area
We can recommend some great bunny sitters and bunny-care home-visitors in the Seattle area:
- Rabbit Haven, Gig Harbor. Board with some of the most experienced bunny people at the area’s longest-running bunny rescue.
- Rebecca Wells, who is wonderful and boards at her home. Email: email@example.com
- Blue Clover Rabbitry in Auburn
- HareBnB in Lacey. Not only does Patricia board buns, but she also grooms and has the cutest bunny boutique ever that supports her rescue efforts. Email Patricia
- Boarding or home visits: Tia Rachel, a long-time bunny owner and friend of Special Bunny, who offers bunny sitting and limited boarding in South Seattle. Email Rachel
- Home visits only:
Boarding is filling up faster and faster these days. Please try to book as early as possible for any holiday.
Going out of town? Need a fabulous ‘hotel’ for your bunnies while you are gone? Lucky for you, Special Bunny offers fabulous boarding services! You can bring your bunny or bunnies to our shelter in Carnation and board your bunnies under the watchful eye of and loving care of Angie, our founder. Your bunny will have his, her, or their own clean and tidy space to lounge around while you are off having fun somewhere else (well, as much fun as you can have without your bunnies!)
Here are some of the benefits of boarding at Special Bunny:
- An experienced caretaker. We’ve seen it all when it comes to bunnies, and can step in if any problem arises while you are gone to give expert care to your bunnies.
- A super-clean environment. All boarded bunnys’ areas are cleaned at the same times as our other bunnies…three times a week.
- Incredible hay. We use hay from an organic-practices farm for all our bunnies, and they love it. Don’t be surprised if your bunnies end up addicted to our awesome hay…lucky for you we sell ittoo!
- All the supplies are on us. We provide the space, clean towels, litterboxes, litter, hay, food…everything your bunny needs. No need to pack up and haul everything over with your bunny…unless you want to! If you have special food or supplies, we are happy to use them.
- Lots of love. Our volunteers swarm over the shelter three times a week, oohing and ahhing over all the bunnies as they clean up all the spaces. Your bunnies will get lots of admiration and attention while they are with us.
- Grooming or bonding if you request it. While your bunnies are with us, we can take care of basic ‘bunny maintenance’ like nails, glands, and ear cleaning. We can also help you bond your own bunnies, or even find one of our bunnies to bond with your singleton! Drop off one or two, bring home a snuggly pair…what a great deal!
We have updated our boarding prices.
- $20 per day for one bunny or a bonded pair.
- Please call for pricing for bunnies who are ill or have special needs. There are additional fees for medicating and caring for bunnies who need significant hands-on care.
- We offer discounts for long-term boarding.
What to bring
We provide all the supplies for your bunny, but it’s important that you bring a few things with you when you bring your bunny to board:
- A familiar towel with their ‘home scent’ on it. You can use a towel or rug that they usually have in their enclosure, or sleep with a clean towel in your bed for a few days to get it smelling like you. Home scents are very soothing for bunnies, who are very territorial.
- Favorite toys. If your bun is attached to a toy, bring it with you!
- Any special foods. We provide high quality food for all of our bunnies, but if your bunny is on a special diet, you should bring it with you.
- Any special instructions. Let us know which vet you like to use, any veggies that are particular favorites, lists of veggies that don’t agree with your bunny’s tummy, etc.
- Any medications. Don’t worry, we are VERY experienced with all bunny medications and will certainly give them to your bunny as prescribed.
Interested in boarding your bunnies with us? Contact us.
Please fill out and bring our boarding form with you.